Art of Cities Conference
Art of Cities is the conference for learning to build and launch a CityStudio in your city.
Spanning four days in beautiful Vancouver, BC, Art of Cities is the foremost gathering for civic, academic and community leaders seeking to bring fresh ideas into City Hall and learn how to implement the CityStudio model of city-university collaboration to move the dial on municipal strategic plans and goals.
CityStudio can help your city:
- Advance sustainability
- Increase economic development
- Activate public space
- Engage community
Participants will learn how to adopt the model in their city, as well as licensing and other services offered to support this process, and will experience first-hand the CityStudio Way of using dialogue and design for co-creating projects that make our cities more sustainable, liveable and joyful..
- 4 days of learning and workshops with the team and key City of Vancouver and academic stakeholders
- The Art of Cities workbook including a Readiness Assessment, Quick Start Guide and Project Framework
- 4 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 2 dinners including a VIP reception
- All activities, including a bike and walking tour of Vancouver
$1,250 per person + tax
Please note, the cost of the conference does not include travel or accommodation, but special hotel rates will be available.
1800 Spyglass Place
The conference has been postponed – dates TBC.
Who is it for?
Civic leaders whose city is looking to:
- Increase citizen engagement with placemaking
- Shift the culture at City Hall towards co-creation, creativity and engagement
- Learn to take risks with experimental projects
- Innovate with less risk and cost
- Develop new ways to retain graduates
- Increase positive media
Academic leaders whose school is looking to:
- Provide opportunities for students to work directly with city government
- Deepen student engagement in learning
- Attract and retain the best students
- Help graduates develop employable skills
- Engage faculty more deeply in their teaching practice
Community and organizational leaders who work closely with civic governments that are looking to:
- Increase engagement on the ground in communities and neighbourhoods
- Connect community directly to civic planning
- Increase placemaking with public space projects
- Engage student energy and capacity
What will I get?
- Gain first-hand knowledge and lessons from the team about launching the CityStudio model.
- Experience of the CityStudio Way of using dialogue and design for project creation.
- Network with key CityStudio stakeholders and leaders for stories and experiences from City staff, faculty and students.
- Join the CityStudio Network as an Associate Member.
- Learn about the services to support the launch process, including licensing and coaching.
Should I attend?
It is important to us that you have a valuable, inspiring and engaging experience at Art of Cities. To ensure the conference is a good fit for you, please:
- Read our Information for Cities guide to learn more about the model and determine if it may be a good fit.
- Get in touch with our team to discuss next steps.
In 2017, we welcomed 24 civic and academic leaders from 17 cities across Canada, the US, Australia and South Africa to Art of Cities. The conference was presented as ten modules that included sessions both inside and outside of the studio. Read the report for more information and to see the agenda.
Art of Cities began in 2015 with 8 cities in attendance from across Canada.