EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: Events Coordinator – Temporary F/T Position
CityStudio Society seeks a spirited, energetic, creative & dynamic Event Coordinator. This position is a temporary F/T position, with possibility of extension.
At CityStudio, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents our community. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, 2SLGBTQ+ and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.
CityStudio Society is an educational charity and innovation hub with the mission to bring together city staff with post-secondary students and faculty to co-create experimental projects that make cities more sustainable, liveable, inclusive and joyful.
Our main purpose is to advance education by coordinating and facilitating collaboration between municipal governments and post-secondary academic institutions. We provide practical learning experiences that help students obtain job skills while addressing key urban challenges and generating a sense of connection to the city.
Locally, the Vancouver Program partners with the City of Vancouver and six post-secondary institutions. Globally, we licence the CityStudio model to cities in Canada and around the world. Since 2011, 703 city staff in 14 cities have worked on 2700 projects with over 14,000 students. These students have contributed more than 400,000 hours to their cities.
Working closely with the team, the Event Coordinator is responsible for the successful hands-on planning, implementation, execution, and follow up of our events start to finish. Events include HUBBUB – our dynamic end-of-term showcase, Lunch & Learns to onboard new collaborators, Idea Jam to brainstorm project ideas, Alumni events, and CityStudio internal events. The Event Coordinator thrives in a collaborative environment, and is focused on organising logistics, event engagement, and storytelling of our work.
This position presents the opportunity to experiment and innovate with the team in a flexible work environment, within the context of our known practices and required deliverables for the position.
The Coordinator demonstrates a deep understanding and commitment to CityStudio’s vision, goals, theory of change, Manifesto, programs and impact.
Event Planning, Implementation and Follow Up
- Coordinate the logistics of CityStudio Vancouver events, including invitations, Eventbrite, Zoom for virtual events, venue, catering, supplies and materials for in person events
- Introduce strategies to support diverse access needs and foster equity and inclusion at the events
- Organise stakeholder engagement, ensuring participation from priority institutions, courses, students, faculty, City staff, alumni and community partners
- Create content for communications of event details, resources for students and stakeholder participants in events, speaker notes
- Support design of graphics and event materials
- Volunteer management and work with the team to coordinate roles and responsibilities for the event
- Tell the story of CityStudio Vancouver and our events, including on our website, social media, writing blog posts, event reports
- Work with the team to follow up on events and build relationships with participants and stakeholders
- Evaluate and continuously improve event coordination process and systems, and develop resources as needed
- Supports the collection of program and event surveys
- Other duties as assigned, including collaboration and event coordination on behalf of the Society
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Post-secondary education, preferably in communications, marketing, graphic design
- Minimum 3 years experience in event planning, logistics and delivery with a collaborative approach, ideally in the municipal, post-secondary education, social innovation, community-building, or non-profit sectors
- High competence in the best practices in event management and stakeholder engagement fields
- Experience in hosting events that are access friendly and foster equity and inclusion
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Outstanding copywriting skills with clear, concise and engaging messaging
- High levels of comfort in initiating, building, and maintaining strategic and effective relationships with stakeholders, vendors, volunteers that support our mission and activities
- Excellent organisation and ability to deliver outcomes while balancing competing priorities
- Authentic professional curiosity for city building, higher education, and collaboration
- Proven experience with tools in communications, social media, website management and design
- Experience monitoring program metrics and outcomes through evaluation frameworks
- The ability to take initiative, work independently, and as part of a team
- The ability to confidently take direction, explore options, and make recommendations
- The ability to manage multiple events independently
- Equal parts confident, curious, and collaborative
- Service-oriented towards the Society, the Program and the team
- Highly professional, with self-set high standards in planning, organisation, delivery, commitment to process
- Excellent time management
- Oral and written communication skills
- A compelling, natural storyteller
- Comfortable working in a creative, experiential environment
- Energetic, trustworthy, and kind
- Detail oriented
- Keen to improve through research, listening, and teamwork
- Proven warm and open relationship builder
- Seeker and supporter of new ideas
- Calm under pressure
- Self-aware as a practice
- Adaptable and willing to jump in to get things done as needed
- Collaborative and a true team player
- Working knowledge of audio-visual equipment and sounds systems
- Ability to take initiative and work independently
- Ability to confidently make recommendations and take direction
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Google Suite
- CRM Management Software – Mailchimp or equivalent
- Hosting virtual and in person events
- E-Newsletter – Mailchimp
- Website Updating and Maintenance – WordPress experience
- Social Media – Hootsuite, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, Linktree
- Design Tools – Canva, Adobe Creative Suite or equivalent
- Eventbrite, Zoom
POSITION: Full-time position until December 31st 2023, with the possibility of extension.
REPORTS TO: CityStudio Executive Director
LOCATION: CityStudio Vancouver, 1800 Spyglass Place; Vancouver, BC CANADA, with some work-from-home flexibility.
HOURS: We operate on a fully paid, 4-day work week, therefore this full-time position requires 30 hours per week.
COMPENSATION: $50,000 – $56,000 per annum based on experience, plus benefits after the 3-month probationary period.
- Extended Health, Dental and Life Insurance Benefits
- RRSP Contributions of 3% of annual salary
- 3 weeks vacation plus approximately two weeks at Winter Break
- Four day work week
- Hybrid in person/remote work model
- Scheduling flexibility
- Team events, weekly check-ins and team meetings
- Professional Development expense account of $1000
START DATE: Immediately.
REQUIRED: This application requires a Resume and Cover Letter in PDF format with salary expectations to: “[email protected]”.
Include your full name along with the title Events Coordinator in the subject heading of your application.
We thank all applicants. Selected candidates will be contacted for an initial phone interview. Only short-listed applicants will be invited for in-depth interviews.
To learn more about CityStudio Vancouver, please visit www.citystudiovancouver.com.