APPLICATION DEADLINE: Sunday November 15, 2020 at midnight
CityStudio is an innovation hub that brings city staff, post-secondary students, faculty, and community to co-create experimental projects to make cities more sustainable, liveable, joyful and inclusive. After 6 years running as an SFU initiative, a board was elected and CityStudio registered as a non-profit Society in 2017.
As of 2018 our charitable purposes include:
- To advance education by coordinating and facilitating academic collaboration with municipal governments in Canada
- To advance education by designing and delivering community-based experiential courses and programs for secondary and post-secondary students in Canada
- To advance education by delivering workshops, conferences, symposia and training programs for municipal staff, elected representatives and other interested persons in Canada
- To advance education by conducting, facilitating and supporting research into municipal issues and experiential learning methodologies, and making the results publicly available.
We do this work under two strategic pillars: 1) the local CityStudio Vancouver Program and 2) the CityStudio Global licensing service.
We will soon be celebrating the 10th anniversary of our Vancouver Program, which works with five local post secondary schools and the City of Vancouver, which has developed more than 1000 projects, together with 6644 students and 306 city staff.
CityStudio Vancouver is the lead member of our growing CityStudio Global Network. The licensing service is a one-stop-shop for cities and universities to work together for innovation and civic benefit. Under this program, CityStudio licenses cities across Canada and around the world to operate their own innovative programs under the CityStudio name and includes access to our trademark, training and network membership through a shared platform. There are currently 10 CityStudios in Canada, two in Australia, and one in Norway. CityStudio Global will celebrate its fifth anniversary in 2021.
Our board is a strategic oversight governing body that uses a consensus decision-making process to move the organization forward and support management. The board membership ranges from 3 to 11 members and one ex-officio from the City of Vancouver. Staff leadership attends board meetings.
CityStudio Vancouver is committed to justice, diversity and inclusion, which strengthens our ability to achieve our mission. We strongly encourage applicants of all genders, ethnic and cultural backgrounds, sexual orientations, abilities, and with a range of life experiences to apply. We will make every effort to accommodate needs and requests.
- Determining the mission and purposes of the organization
- Selecting and evaluating the performance of the Executive Director
- Strategic and organizational planning
- Ensuring strong fiduciary oversight and financial management
- Approving the budget and financial reports
- Fundraising and resource development
- Approving and monitoring the organization’s programs and services
- Enhancing the organization’s public image
- Assessing its own performance as the governing body of the organization
- Developing policy recommendations in HR, financial procedures, fundraising and other areas
- Reviewing and monitoring risk management every 3 years
- Fostering relationships for partnerships and resources for CityStudio within the wider community
FULL COMMITMENT + POSITION DESCRIPTION
This is a volunteer position
Remote and CityStudio Vancouver, 1800 Spyglass Place
Started in Vancouver, CityStudio is an innovation hub that brings together city staff, students, faculty and community to design experimental projects that make cities more sustainable, liveable, inclusive and joyful.
We are a social franchise that licenses cities with a subscription product that includes access to our trademark, training and network membership through a shared platform. The membership platform includes training and webinars, shared materials, templates, a project archive, messaging and scheduling, as well as both public facing and members-only access.
To date, thirteen other cities besides Vancouver have adopted the CityStudio model of city-campus collaboration, including Abbotsford, BC; Victoria, BC; North Vancouver, BC; Brantford, ON; Waterloo, ON; London, ON; Durham, ON; Montreal, QC; Corner Brook, NL; Logan, Australia; Bendigo, Australia; and Oslo, Norway.
Submit your CV and cover letter to: hr[at]citystudiovancouver[dot]com.
Please include your full name along with “CityStudio Board” in the subject heading of your email. Current board members can be available at the above email to answer questions from interested applicants.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: Sunday November 15, 2020 at midnight
CityStudio Vancouver is committed to building a skilled, diverse Society which strengthens our ability to achieve our mission through inclusion. We strongly encourage applicants of all genders, ethnic and cultural backgrounds, sexual orientations, abilities, and with a range of life experiences to apply. We will make accommodations if needed.